If you haven’t played pickleball, you’re losing out on a great opportunity to have fun and work out. The activity is popular in senior living buildings because it doesn’t require any specific abilities and the equipment is fairly economical, which attracts a lot of seniors to the sport. Three fathers who were searching for an enjoyable game to play with their families created the sport in 1965. They lacked the necessary equipment to play tennis or badminton. Thus, they invented a game of their own. Using modified paddles, called Pickleball paddles, that resemble table tennis paddles and a badminton/tennis net.
They had no idea that the ridiculous game they invented would become so famous. The game was developed in Bainbridge Island, Washington, off the coast of Seattle. The game’s popularity quickly expanded to Seattle and ultimately the West Coast. In 1975, pickleball had gained such broad appeal that the first pickleball association was established. This pattern persisted into the 1980s and 1990s. There were reportedly close to 5.0 million pickleball players in the United States by 2022. Seniors who have flocked to the game have seen its popularity grow because it requires minimal talent and doesn’t put too much strain on the players.
This is a chronology of pickleball’s development:
- 1965: Three dads create pickleball on Bainbridge Island, Washington.
- 1975: The first pickleball association was created.
- 1976: The first pickleball tournament takes place in Tukwila, Washington.
- 1984: The pickleball rule book is published, helping players with rules and regulations.
- 1990: The first pickleball world championship games take place.
- 2009: USA Pickleball Association is created.
- 2016: The first pickleball tour is launched.
- 2022: Pickleball is the official state sport of Washington state.
One reason pickleball has gained so much popularity is that it doesn’t require many specialized equipment or objects to play. Many make use of pre-existing tennis courts or install their own in yards and driveways. Aside from these, prospective pickleball players also require:
- Pickleball paddles: Pickleball paddles have a shorter handle and range in size from a ping-pong paddle to a tennis racquet. Pickleball racquets are primarily composed of aluminum, graphite, and wood. Pickleball paddles may be found in a lot of sports stores and even many bargain retailers.
- Pickleball balls are used by players; they are composed of light plastic and have holes in them, much like a tennis ball. They are simple to strike because of their extreme light weight.
- Pickleball net: A tennis net of the same height is utilized. Rather than eight feet wide, it is seven feet wide, similar to a tennis net.
- Pickleball court: A 20-by-44-foot stretch of pavement is often used to establish lines. Although a growing number of sports facilities are building dedicated pickleball courts, many people also play pickleball on existing tennis courts. They are appearing in gyms, clubs, parks, and rec facilities. Furthermore, the courts are frequently overflowing.
Before you visit the closest pickleball court, consider these additional pointers and advice:
- Put on loose, comfy clothes that you can easily move around in. Additionally, you want to wear supportive athletic shoes or shoes with rubber soles.
- New pickleball players frequently ask friends for paddles and balls, and many sporting goods stores lend out pickleball equipment. Since paddles and balls are very inexpensive, most pickleball enthusiasts quickly invest in them, and many prefer to play with the same gear.
- Once you have your equipment, locate pickleball courts in clubs and parks. This will help you know where to go.
- A lot of people opt to learn from a teacher. For individuals who wish to learn the game’s rules and how to play it correctly, this is beneficial.
- A fun and athletic way to spend an afternoon with friends and family is to play pickleball.
Selecting pickleball equipment is not that difficult. To choose which paddle feels the most comfortable in your hand, try out a few different models as the weights of the paddles might vary somewhat. One brand that delivers control and power is the USA Pickleball authorized Evo-Lite Series pickleball paddle. It is constructed from fiberglass, just like a lot of pickleball paddles. Both seasoned players and those who are just starting out in the game like this specific paddle. The handle length of the paddle balls is usually 5.6 inches, with a handle circumference of 4.25 inches. The dimensions add up to 16.5 by 7.5 inches. There is a range in weight from 7.8 to 8.2 ounces. The likelihood is that you will discover the weight that is ideal for you after some trial and error.
Pickleball balls are somewhat larger and significantly lighter than tennis balls, while having a similar size. Compared to tennis balls, they are more robust and lighter because they are composed of plastic that has holes in them. Although they are available in a range of colors, bright yellow is the most popular due to their high visibility. You should utilize balls designed for indoor use if you are playing indoors. With bigger holes, they are softer. Pickleball balls used outside feature smaller, firmer holes that are less impacted by wind. Pickleballs are really cheap; you can get a ball for a few bucks or more at almost any sporting goods store. However, pros are more likely to employ them than beginners who are unable to distinguish between the priciest and most affordable solutions.
Pickleball is a delightful pastime that practically the whole family can enjoy, including grandparents. Playing the game is inexpensive because courts are usually free to use, and all you need is a paddle and some balls, which are reasonably priced. You can pickleball fast and simply with the correct equipment from Salted City Sports and a rule book, and since so many people are playing the game, you can have a lot of people itching to play with you.